1. When he was going away for the weekend, he _____ his neighbor water the lawn.
(A) got (B) has (C) requested (D) had
2. Not only did many people volunteer to bring food for the picnic, ______________
(A) but also drinks and games.
(B) many people offered to bring drinks and games.
(C) many people did not offer to bring drinks and games.
(D) they brought food.
3. Vasco Nunez de Balboa _________ the Pacific Ocean in 1513.
(A) was discovered
(B) had discover
4. While my brother has excellent eyesight, he _____ hard of hearing.
(A) has (B) is (C) was (D) isn’t
5. My cousin lives _____ a farm.
(A) at (B) on (C) in (D) within
6. When she was a young girl, she used to wish she _____ a princess.
(A) were (B) was (C) is (D) became
7. Travelers checks are useful when one is traveling because _________ people refuse to accept them.
(A) quite a few (B) a few (C) few (D) many
8. We usually expect that __________ bring bad news.
(A) a telegram
(D) the telegrams
9. If we __________ salt, the soup would have been tastier.
(B) could add
(C) don’t add
(D) had added
10. For a variety of reasons, many American young adults are returning home or are not leaving home at all, ____.
(A) which has made families to react in different ways.
(B) which makes families react in different ways to this.
(C) to which makes families react in different ways.
(D) which is making families react in different ways.
11. Had I run out of gas, I __________ called the garage.
(B) would have
(D) should have
12. Paterson was angry _____ his friend and threw a book at him.
(A) with (B) at (C) on (D) about
13. You _____ better study a lot next week, if you want to get through that exam.
(A) should (B) had (C) will (D) must
14. Your friends won’t be late, __________?
(A) won’t they (B) will they (C) isn’t it (D) is it
15. ____________________ guns had been made by skilled gunsmiths, one at a time.
(A) In 1798, Eli Whitney came up with a new idea,
(B) In 1798, when Eli Whitney came up with a new idea,
(C) Since 1798 Eli Whitney had been working on a new idea,
(D) Until 1798, when Eli Whitney came up with a new idea,
16. The ~lab’s ~ conversational desktop ~ is a~ voice-controlled computer system ~that~ acts like an automatic receptionist, personal ~secretary~ , and travel agent which screening all calls, taking messages, and making airline reservations.
17. Even among the general public, consciousness ~has been~ raised high enough ~so that~ anyone sporting finery made from the skins of an endangered animal ~run~ the risk of at least a ~verbal~ assault.
18. Coastal erosion is~ the only~ natural ~process~ that ~has altered~ the world’s shorelines ever since the oceans ~formed first~ some three billion years ago.
19. Surveys ~note~ however, that the elderly are frequent victims of certain types of ~crimes~,~ like~ ~purse-snatching~.
20. Noise is ~external and excessive~ stimulus that ~increases~ ~rather~ ~than~ decreases your tension.
21. ~Although~ teachers around the world are ~separated by~ thousands of miles, their methods ~of~ trying to encourage children to write ~springs~ from a common source.
22. The professor managed to ~attending~ to the needs ~of~ his family while ~working~ day and night for ~the~ prestigious award.
23. Jan later laughs ~about~ ~having fell~ ~into~ the pond, although she was very embarrassed about it ~then~.
24. Only one egg hatched after twenty-eight days, ~while~ all ~the~ ~others~ hatched after ~twenty-ninth day.~
25. A few ~and~ ~the~ 50 stamps that my sister had ~were~ either for sale or ~trade~.
26. My grandmother could never understand why I ~preferred~ a ~20-stories~ building ~to~ a rambling house ~in~ the fields.
27. “The Starlight Cafe” ~is~ a good place ~for~ order seafood ~but~ ~not~ to order meat.
28. ~The~ legendary Robin Hood ~used~ to steal from the rich people ~to~ give to ~all poor~.
29. Although the poor families are ~fast learning~ the new trade, the ~lack of~ education ~are~ hampering ~their~ advancement.
30. In ~the event~ something happening ~to~ the family, ~the lawyer~ assured her that the house would ~go to~ her friend.
31. The ~entire city~ ~except~ the western section ~is~ ~being plunge~ into darkness for the night.
32. Frank and Anna Johnson ~had~ a daughter who ~were~ born in 1950, but who ~died~ a few years ~later.~
33. Americans tend to embody ~to what~ many ~is~ a curious combination of admiration ~for~ their political system in general and disdain for ~its~ particular operations.
34. I ~have been~ having headaches so often ~later~ ~that~ I think 1 ~ought to~ see a doctor
35. ~Thousands~ years ago, the world had several ice ~ages;~ or ~periods~ of time when the climate was very cold and thick sheets of ice covered ~much of~ the earth.
36. ~Hunger~ is ~not~ an unavoidable ~phenomena~ as are death and ~taxes.~
37. Peter Weir, ~the prominent~ Australian filmmaker and screenplay writer, ~and~ ~was planning~ to visit the United States to ~make~ a film.
38. While most Americans may admire a person who ~speaks~ more than one ~language~, most of them do not place any value ~on~ learning another language ~themself~.
39. ~Having spent~ his childhood longing for books, Andrew Carnegie realized their value and ~went on to become~ the largest donor of funds ~the American~ public library system has ever ~had donors~.
40. The ~survival instinct~ of cockroaches ~are~ so great that they ~are~ known to reproduce even ~within~ a ring of fire.